We will soon be enjoying the crisp, cool Fall air and the changing colors of the leaves. This also means winter is right around the corner, and it will be time to kick that furnace on for warm cozy nights spent inside. This month we have some tips to prepare your furnace so it is at the ready when you need it.
Prepping your furnace for the cooler months can increase efficiency, save money on monthly utility bills, and prevent an emergency call, because it will be in tiptop shape well before it’s needed. Read on to find out what you can do to prepare your furnace for use before you make your professional routine maintenance appointment:
- Change the Filters Regularly – Once your furnace is running regularly, it is suggested that you inspect the filter every month and replace it every 30-90 days, depending on the condition of the filter.
- Purchase Filters During the Warm Months – Make yourself a note to stock up on filters throughout the spring and summer months to save money. They are generally sold at a lower price, since they aren’t in their peak season of use.
- Free Furnace of Any Clutter – Oftentimes on and around the furnace can become a storage area when it is not in use. Be sure to move anything (especially flammable items) from the furnace once you are ready to kick it on.
- Check Heating Vents – If you rearranged or happened to store anything over the heating vents, now is the time to clear them off. Blocked vents prevent heat from being delivered to rooms correctly, and increase heating bills because the air is not being circulated properly for optimal efficiency. This also runs the risk of overheating the furnace, so check that both the supply (where heat blows out) and return (where air is drawn in) registers aren’t blocked.
- Make a Routine Maintenance Appointment – The earlier you make this appointment, the better! HVAC professionals get very busy once people begin to kick on their furnaces and find out they have a problem. So call now, before you need it running, and avoid potentially having to make an emergency call. Routine maintenance to your HVAC system is the best way to ensure the system is in proper working order and running at peak efficiency to save money each month. Our specialist will come to your home, clean your system, replace any equipment as needed, and answer any questions you may have about the unit.
- Test Carbon Monoxide Detectors – For the safety of your household, regularly checking that carbon monoxide detectors are in proper working order is important. If you don’t already have carbon monoxide detectors, now is a great time to purchase them.
We take pride in the services we offer, with an A+ rating from the BBB (Better Business Bureau), all backed by our 100% satisfaction guarantee, the Vilandre Advantage. We will have your system ready for the cold months ahead in no time! To schedule your routine maintenance appointment, visit our website or call 701.775.4675.